Shelter Associates (SA) is a not-for-profit organization founded by architects and planners in Pune in 1993. Since its inception, SA has aimed to provide a better quality of life to the urban poor, through facilitation of sanitation and housing in urban slums.
Over the years, SA has developed a holistic approach for delivering basic services and housing which is innovative, data and technology driven, community centric and inclusive in terms of stakeholder participation. SA works extensively with Urban Local Bodies (ULB) to deliver these services.
SA pioneered the ‘One Home One Toilet’ (OHOT) concept which combines ULB and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds with cost sharing by beneficiaries. To date we have delivered over 22,200 household toilets in 7 cities in Maharashtra and positively impacted over 9 lacs urban slum dwellers, giving SA the distinction of probably being the NGO with the largest outreach of household sanitation in slums of Maharashtra.
In the course of our work in sanitation and social housing, SA has also pioneered the concept of “Poverty Mapping” using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technologies and has surveyed and mapped over 2,97,000+ urban slum households to date. Also, SA has a very robust data management and monitoring system which includes a fully automated web-based system with data mining and visualization work that is in progress.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will report to the Project Director /Executive Director.
A monitoring and evaluation manager provides oversight for a program’s evaluation, knowledge management and monitoring. He/She identifies performance indicators and develops quality assurance strategies. The manager regularly monitors and guides the GIS and Data team, monitors development of web applications, gathers the requirements of all departments, provides inputs to developers and coordinates with the vendors regarding app development.
He/She develops an effective communication framework to enable all parties to share and access knowledge and information.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Establishing Indicators: Program indicators are signs that show specific changes after introduction of certain conditions. An M&E manager is expected to establish or identify suitable indicators for the program that is being monitored. For this process to be efficient it would be necessary to determine good indicators which are specific, measurable and relevant.
He/She needs to perform administrator roles for web application and Data Collection applications including user management and handling troubleshooting for Kobo/Avni and Web application.
Ensuring timely delivery of deliverables: He/She should regularly monitor the progress of deliverables so as to deliver factsheets to funders as per the schedule.
• He/She is responsible for planning internal impact assessment studies on all the sites. Also oversee the analysis of data and prepare reports based on it. Share the Impact Assessment report to donors as per the deliverables in the proposals and their reporting template.
• manage and coordinate any third-party surveys being conducted for SA’s projects.
• Conduct regular inspections to detect areas that violate the guidelines and initiate corrective measures.
• Providing oversight to surveyors for conducting surveys to get good quality of data. Train the field staff to use mobile applications and how to conduct the surveys.
• Maintaining Partnerships: Maintain positive contact between his/her team and program partners, and other stakeholders.
• Managing Personnel: Should be able to supervise a team of GIS/field personnel in their departments.
• To ensure efficient monitoring and evaluation of all projects, the manager might allocate duties to junior staffers and direct them to compile progress reports. The manager should also organize and coordinate training programs for program personnel to help update their skills, technical abilities and professional knowledge, all of which are crucial for maintaining high monitoring and evaluation management standards.
• Education level: Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics/Statistics, Information Management, Project Management, Engineering, Finance or other relevant academic background (essential), Master’s Degree (desirable)
• 3 to 5 years of Monitoring and Evaluation experience (essential)
• Good level of proficiency in Windows Excel and other statistical packages and quantitative analysis.
• Experience in program design and M&E plan development.
• Ability to design M&E tools, surveys, surveillance systems, and evaluations.
• Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others.
• Strong interpersonal skills and managerial
• Experience in a non-governmental organization
• Knowledge on GIS is desirable
• Inclination to work in Service/Social Sector.