General information and identification of the job:
Designation/Rank: Sr. Co-worker-Academics
Function: Integrated Child Care
Reporting to: Village Director
Education analysis of the Children & Youth in the Village.
About SOS Children’s Villages of India
We are an independent, non-governmental and non-profit organisation working for the holistic development of parentless children, women and children belonging to vulnerable families. Founded in 1949 in Austria, SOS Children's Villages began its operations in India in 1964. For over 50 years, we have reached out to over 25,000 children through our 32 SOS Children's Villages and 32 community projects in India.
SOS Children's Villages of India was established in 1964 at Faridabad near Delhi. SOS India has worked with children, communities, disaster struck and disaster prone areas, giving hope to weary communities and families. SOS India is the largest operation within the SOS International Federation of 134 countries.
At SOS Children’s Villages of India, we are committed to the welfare of parentless and abandoned children and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect.
The organisation’s work is based on the following four pillars:
The Mother: Every child has a caring parent
Brothers and Sisters: Every child has family ties and he or she grows up with a sense of responsibility and a spirit of sharing
The House: A place where the child feels secure and has a sense of belonging
The Village: A community that surrounds the child so that every child has familial roots
One of the most unique features of SOS Children's Villages is the home-like environment and the long-term support given to every child under our care up to the age of 24.
Areas of Responsibility:
1. To Support the SOS Mother in the development of children:
• Support services to SOS Mothers in behavioral formation of children
• Support services to SOS Mothers in career planning
• Support services to SOS Mothers in organizing expert resources as and when needed for children
2. Support in Education to Children:
• To initiate and support to develop Education plan of the village
• Responsible for academic development of each children & Youth
• Regular checking of their academic status.
• Recruiting and Monitoring the tutors/coaching on regular basis
• Identifying the areas of improvement for each child
• Guide Mother in creating environment supporting education in families
• To act as internal educational consultant - Collect academic record of the child & youth and organize meeting between VD, Co-worker-Education and Mother and record action plans. Monitor action plans and convert them into action
• To initiate discussion of career planning of the child & Youth.
3. Other Responsibilities
As assigned by Village Director
Key Performance Indicators:
• Overall Academic performance of children + Youth in the village
• Quality of Schools and Tutors
• Academic result of the village
• Designing the overall holistic development of Children.
Within SOS India:
Respective Village Director
Outside SOS India:
INGOs and NGOs
Posted in Children’s Village as a residential/Non-residential coworker (based on the requirement of the organisation). Travel as and when required.
Qualifications & Experience:
Post graduation (M.A, M.Sc), Bachelor’s degree in Education (B.Ed) or equivalent qualification in the education field.
5 years and above experience in the relevant field.
Excellent communication skills (English and Hindi). Proficiency in 1-2 regional languages will be an advantage. Must have significant and proven human, writing, presentation and people management skills.